Legal Secretary – Full Time – Detroit Office
Job Purpose: Transcribe and type correspondence, memoranda and time records as well as perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorney(s) to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters.
Working with us, you will:
- Transcribe and prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents form written and oral drafts; prepare and file legal pleadings; handle projects that may be complex in nature; and maintain records and filing system.
- Work closely with administrative support staff (word processing, office services, receptionists, etc.); proofread documents returned from word processing; and ensure that attorney time sheets are submitted timely.
- Process bills; proof billing sheets; review and edit bills.
- Maintain and docket court dates and prepare and file legal pleadings.
- Set up and maintain client and firm files; manage daily mail; request conflict of interest checks; maintain attorney calendars and deadline reminder systems.
- Receive clients and visitors; maintain good public relations with clients; observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Work with junior and senior level attorneys.
An ideal candidate has:
- A minimum of a high school diploma; college course work preferred.
- Some work experience as a legal secretary, administrative assistant, or work in a legal department or law firm.
- Above average proofreading skills, pays close attention to detail and the ability to perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation at a minimum level of 60 wpm.
- Ability to support senior level management.
- Experience in a document management system and time entry system a plus.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to anticipate what work is coming or needs to be completed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – one who can communicate effectively in a courteous and diplomatic fashion as you will service a partner with a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
For immediate consideration, forward your resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, handicap, or veteran status.