Legal Secretary – Detroit Office
Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers and four offices. Bodman has a diverse client base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries, with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, emerging companies and venture capital, manufacturing, health care, and other sectors.
Bodman was named by Corp! Magazine a “Diversity-Focused Company” and is consistently listed a Top Workplace by the Detroit Free Press. We are seeking a talented individual who is committed to excellence and thrives in an environment of collaboration to join our team.
SUMMARY: Transcribe and type correspondence, memoranda and time records as well as perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorney(s) to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintains positive contact with clients, attorneys and staff and observes confidentiality of client matters.
- Operates a computer, word processor and typewriter; transcribes dictation as needed.
- Prepares correspondence, memoranda and other documents from written and oral drafts; drafts standard correspondence, and other documents.
- Handles projects that may be complex in nature.
- Proofread and redline documents to ensure accuracy of material, grammar and punctuation.
- Screens telephone calls and records messages.
- Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail. Ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered. If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
- Opens new files, requests conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintains all client and general files. Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Makes appointments for attorney(s).
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills.
- Works closely with administrative support staff (word processing, reprographics, receptionists, etc.); proofs documents returned from word processing; ensures that attorney time sheets are provided to appropriate person in a timely manner.
- May work with senior level attorneys with unique practices.
- Performs overload typing, filing, photocopying, or reception relief as time permits and as requested.
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters.
- Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent.
- Requires minimal supervision to complete daily assignments.
- Has 3 years of legal secretarial experience, preferably in a law firm environment or support of senior level management.
- Ability to transcribe documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation at a level of 70wpm.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate in person, via e-mail and telephone to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact.
- Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of information performing other essential duties. Able to handle complex legal tasks.
- Work occasionally requires more than 35 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position; may require irregular hours.
For immediate consideration, forward your resume and salary requirements to:
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, handicap, or veteran status.