Director of Diversity – Detroit Office – Full Time
Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 150 lawyers and five offices. Bodman has a diverse client base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other sectors.
Bodman PLC is looking for an experienced Director of Diversity to join our team. We are seeking applications from individuals who are committed to excellence and thrive in an environment of collaboration.
Working in concert with the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, the Director of Diversity will develop, implement and monitor programs that proactively promote diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives for attorneys and staff. The Director of Diversity will collaborate with Firm management, attorneys and staff to further behaviors, attitudes and policies that promote the Firm’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and develop strategies to recruit and retain a diverse workforce. The position will provide both strategic direction and tactical implementation of mentoring and training initiatives. A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Diversity and Inclusion, Business Administration or a closely related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated area and at least five years of closely- related management-level human resources experience, including preparation and implementation of mentoring and diversity initiatives, is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, obtain approval of, and implement long term diversity and inclusion goals and strategies.
- Develop, update and implement policies and procedures for “best practices” designed to meet long-term diversity and inclusion goals for attorneys and staff.
- Serve as an advisor to Firm management, practice group leaders, and administrators on diversity and inclusion issues (including the review of firm policies, procedures and facilities).
- Serve as a member of or advisor to committees and/or individuals responsible for attorney and staff recruitment and hiring, associate review, compensation and development, and establish and implement a comprehensive attorney mentoring program.
- Propose changes to employment policies and procedures that impact diversity initiatives (including, for example, work assignment, employee evaluation processes, reduced -time policies, etc.)
- Plan and coordinate the presentation of diversity and inclusion training sessions for attorneys and staff.
- Serve as a Firm liaison or representative for outside community-based diversity events and for collaboration with clients on diversity matters.
- Track and record all applicable internal and external diversity statistics and respond to requests for diversity data from current and potential clients, governmental authorities, and other organizations with which the Firm cooperates.
- Prepare an annual budget proposal for diversity and inclusion initiatives and proactively manage the budget throughout the course of the year.
- Assure that all personal work product is consistent with Firm standards for quality and branding.
- Maintain the confidentiality of client and Firm information.
An ideal candidate has:
- Five or more years of prior work experience in a management role involving successful development and leadership of diversity and inclusion initiatives is required. (Ten years of such experience, including experience in a law firm or professional services setting, is preferred.)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Diversity and Inclusion, Business Administration or a closely related field, or a Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated area and at least five years of related management-level human resources experience, is required. (A law degree or an advanced business degree with a focus on diversity, inclusion, or human resources management, and prior coaching training, is preferred.)
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including presenting to small and large internal groups and occasional public speaking.
- Superior organizational, project management, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent client service skills.
- Self-motivation and the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Superior interpersonal skills and a professional demeanor.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to balance priorities and utilize excellent judgment.
- Strong computer skills and a prior knowledge of, or the ability to readily learn, our primary desktop applications (use of Microsoft Office, advanced web research tools, and basic presentation graphics tools are required).
- Ability to adhere to all general office rules and procedures.
For immediate consideration, send your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, handicap, or veteran status.