Legal Secretary (Estate Planning) – Detroit Office, Bodman PLC
Bodman PLC is one of Michigan’s leading business law firms with more than 140 lawyers and four offices. Bodman has a diverse client base that includes individuals and businesses in a variety of industries, with emphasis on financial services, automotive, real estate and construction, high tech, manufacturing, health care, and other sectors.
Bodman PLC, named one of Southeast Michigan’s Top 100 Workplaces by the Detroit Free Press, is looking for a Legal Secretary to join our Detroit office High Net Worth group. We are seeking a talented individual who is committed to excellence and who thrives in an environment of collaboration.
Job Purpose: Work as part of a team of attorneys, paralegals, clerks and office services staff on estate planning, and other matters for our high net worth clients. Transcribe and type correspondence, memoranda and time records as well as perform a variety of administrative secretarial duties for attorneys to whom you are assigned according to established policies and procedures. Maintain positive contact with clients, attorneys, vendors and other team members, and observe confidentiality of client matters.
Working with us, you will:
- Manage day to day work flow, documentation and vaulting processes in connection with estate planning and other matters.
- Transcribe and prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts; handle projects that may be complex in nature; and maintain records and filing system.
- Work closely with administrative support staff (word processing, reprographics, receptionists, etc.).
- Prepare attorney time records; process bills; proof billing sheets; and review and edit bills.
- Establish and maintain client and firm files; manage daily mail; request conflict of interest checks and maintain attorney calendars and deadline reminder systems.
- Maintain good relations with clients and their support team; and observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Collaborate with junior and senior level attorneys, paralegals and supervise file clerk.
An ideal candidate has:
- 3-8 years of legal secretarial experience supporting senior level attorneys, preferably in more than one practice area such as banking, real estate, corporate, bankruptcy, or litigation.
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation at a level of a minimum of 70 wpm. Experience in iManage (document management system) Excel and CMS a plus.
- Excellent proof reading abilities for law office correspondence and transactional documents and the ability to perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – one who can communicate effectively in a courteous and diplomatic fashion, since you will work with a diverse group of clients and vendors, attorneys and other team members.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bodman PLC recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, handicap, or veteran status.