Mr. Rheaume is a member of Bodman's Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He represents clients involved in complex commercial litigation matters and serves as local counsel for national and international law firms.
Mr. Rheaume has been selected to the Michigan Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list since 2013 for business litigation. Prior to joining Bodman, he served as a law clerk to Justice Stephen J. Markman of the Michigan Supreme Court. Based on this experience, Mr. Rheaume is an integral team member of the firm's Appellate Law Practice Group. He has written appellate and amicus briefs in state and federal appellate courts, including the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Rheaume serves on the Alumni board of the Sigma Chi Fraternity of Michigan State University. He is also a board member of the Detroit Economic Club's Young Leader Program and serves as a volunteer mentor to students at Cornerstone Schools, a Christ-centered chartered K-12 school system located in Detroit.
In 2010, Mr. Rheaume graduated from Michigan State University College of Law ranked first in his class. While there, he served as an associated editor on The Michigan State Law Review and received Jurisprudence Awards for outstanding achievement in Secured Transactions, Professional Responsibility, Insurance Law, Construction Law, Decedents Estates & Trusts, Bankruptcy, Negotiations, and Income Taxation.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers®, "Rising Star," 2013-2016
- Catholic Lawyers Society of Detroit, Member
- Detroit Economic Club
- Young Leader Program, Board of Director
- Federalist Society — Michigan Chapter, Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Appellate Practice Section, Member
- Litigation Section, Member
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Sigma Chi Fraternity — Michigan State University, Alumni Board of Directors
- Cornerstone University, Volunteer Mentor
- Representation of a Catholic Church and Members of Its Clergy in a Defamation Matter before the Michigan Appellate Courts
Represented a Catholic church and members of its clergy in a defamation matter. On remand from the Michigan Supreme Court, the Court of Appeals ruled in favor of our clients, holding in a published opinion that a false accusation of simple battery will only constitute defamation per se if the crime of battery subjects the plaintiff to involves “moral turpitude” or “infamous punishment,” which did not exist in this case. Lakin v. Rund, No. 323695, 2016 WL 7022886 (Mich. Ct. App. Dec. 1, 2016).
- Representation of a Health Insurer in Antitrust Actions Brought by U.S. Department of Justice and Its Competitors
Represented one of the state's largest health care insurance companies against a series of lawsuits alleging violations of the Sherman Act and state antitrust laws.
- Representation of an Employer before the Michigan Court of Appeals on a Workers' Compensation Claim
Represented an employer before the Michigan Court of Appeals regarding whether a state circuit court had subject matter jurisdiction over the employee's workers' compensation claim. Bessinger v. Our Lady of Good Counsel/Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit, No. 316143, 2014 WL 4347508 (Mich. Ct. App. Sept. 2, 2014), appeal denied, 497 Mich. 973 (2015).
- Representation of a Health Insurance Provider before State Supreme Court, Holding that Injured Motorist Is Not Entitled to Double Recovery
Represented a health insurance provider before the Michigan Supreme Court, where it held that an injured motorist was not entitled to recover from both his own health insurer and the other motorist's automobile insurer for the same injuries incurred in an accident. Harris v. Auto Club Ins. Ass'n, 835 N.W.2d 356 (Mich. 2013).
- Successful Appellate Defense of Bankruptcy Court Decision Regarding Litigation Fees and Costs
Represented appellee-debtor on appeal before a U.S. District Court related to a creditor's contention that the bankruptcy court erred in its calculation of litigation fees and costs that the debtor owed to the creditor after years of contentious and costly litigation. John Richards Homes Building Co., LLC v. Adell, No. 15-10007, 2015 WL 5121359 (E.D. Mich. Aug. 31, 2015).
- Successful Representation of Pension Plan on Appeal Before Michigan Court of Appeals
Represented appellee-pension plan before the Michigan Court of Appeals after appellants-pension holders appealed a summary judgment ruling that shut down their action seeking an equitable accounting of their employer's pension plan. Macey v. Archdiocese of Detroit Priests' Pension Plan, Inc., No. 318617, 2015 WL 1214589 (Mich. Ct. App. Mar. 17, 2015).
- Representation of a Prisoner Before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit for Eight Amendment Rights Violations
Represented a state prisoner that alleged that a former corrections sergeant violated his Eighth Amendment rights. Roberson v. Torres, 770 F.3d 398 (6th Cir. 2014).
- Representation of a Catholic School Before the Michigan Court of Appeals, Obtaining Reversal and Agreement that Trial Court Lacked Jurisdiction
Represented a Catholic school on an interlocutory appeal before the Michigan Court of Appeals, successfully arguing that the trial court lacked subject matter jurisdiction over a student's asserted discrimination claim under the Persons with Disabilities Civil Rights Act (PWDCRA) under the ecclesiastical abstention doctrine. Winkler v. Marist Fathers of Detroit, Inc., No. 323511, 2015 WL 7079054 (Mich. Ct. App. Nov. 12, 2015).
- Representation of Mortgagor on Appeal against Fannie Mae to Recover Overpayment for Redemption of Foreclosed Property
Appeal of a contractual dispute over the amount paid by appellant-mortgagor when it redeemed a property on which appellee-Fannie Mae had foreclosed. Royal Manor Apts, LLC v. Fed. Nat'l Mortgage Ass'n, 614 Fed. App'x 228 (6th Cir. 2015).
- 02/13/2017Bodman Admits Four New Members
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 09/28/201551 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Michigan State University, B.S., cum laude
- Catholic Lawyers Society of Detroit
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Detroit Economic Club
- Federalist Society (Michigan Chapter)
- State Bar of Michigan