Mr. Cole represents a broad array of corporate and individual clients, serving all facets of their diverse business and personal legal needs.
He focuses his practice on the acquisition and development of real estate, leasing, like-kind exchanges, mortgage financing, entity formations, conversions and dissolutions, partnership, LLC and joint venture structuring, purchase and sale of businesses, buy/sell and business succession planning, sophisticated trusts and estate planning, and charitable giving.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Cole practiced with a highly regarded suburban Detroit business law firm where he was a principal and name shareholder. He has served as an adjunct professor of taxation at local business colleges and taught continuing education courses approved by the Michigan Insurance Bureau for licensed insurance professionals.
Mr. Cole is a member of the State Bar of Michigan’s Real Property Law, Probate and Trust Law, and Taxation sections. He has been published in Crain’s Small Business, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, and Auto Age Dealer Business. He was a contributing author to Advising Closely Held Businesses in Michigan, a publication released by the Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Mr. Cole received the 2011 Jerusalem Peace Award from the American Committee for Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem. He has been listed in Michigan Super Lawyers since 2007 under Business Law, Real Estate, Closely Held Business, and Estate Planning and Probate. He is listed in DBusiness Magazine as a 2020 Top Lawyer for Corporate Law. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2019, Business Law, Real Estate, Closely Held Business, Estate Planning and Probate
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2020, Corporate Law
- Jerusalem Peace Award, American Committee for Shaare Zedek Medical Center, 2011
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of Michigan
- Real Property Law, Probate and Trusts Law, and Taxation Sections
- Co-Author (with Emily J. Kwolek and Wayne D. Roberts), "Michigan Tax Foreclosure Relief Announced For Michigan Property Owners Affected By Coronavirus," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Contributing author, Advising Closely Held Businesses in Michigan (ICLE)
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 01/10/2018Business Attorney Steven R. Cole Joins Bodman
- University of Florida, LL.M. in Taxation
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.