Sarah J. Williams serves as corporate counsel to a variety of businesses in matters involving mergers, acquisitions, corporate governance, commercial contracts, corporate finance, and debt and equity financing (private equity, venture capital, and angel investments). She frequently works with technology-based startup businesses in the vibrant Detroit and Ann Arbor markets. Sarah also practices municipal law and serves as township attorney for Ann Arbor Township, Michigan.
Her general corporate expertise includes handling business formation (corporation, limited liability company, and partnership) and representation of emerging and other companies from inception through transactions involving intellectual property, venture capital financing, and ultimate sale. Sarah is part of a Bodman team that has represented a significant number of the start-up and spin-off companies that have recently licensed technology from the University of Michigan.
Sarah has advised both buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions ranging from $100,000 to over $100 million involving businesses in the technology, health care, professional services, software development, foundry, and general manufacturing industries, among others. She also advises private and public companies regarding federal and state securities law matters and has represented clients in securities offerings, preparation of proxy statements, periodic reports, and ownership reports.
As part of her diversified business practice, Sarah advises corporate clients that operate commercial vessels on Jones Act and other general maritime law compliance matters. She also negotiates and documents transactions involving vessel charters, contracts of carriage, and vessel acquisitions and divestitures.
Sarah is recognized as a "Rising Star" in Michigan Super Lawyers 2014 under Business Law. She is a member of the Michigan Townships Association. She is a past member of the board of directors of The Women’s Center of Southeastern Michigan, a nonprofit organization dedicated to emotional and economic self-determination for women, girls, and families.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- "Rising Star," Michigan Super Lawyers, 2014
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- The Women's Center of Southeastern Michigan, past Member, Board of Directors and past Chair of the Governance Committee
- 09/06/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | What Does The "Mega Rule" Mean For Nursing Facilities?
- 06/01/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | MICHIGAN SUPREME COURT STRIPS HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS OF CAUSE OF ACTION AGAINST NO-FAULT INSURERS
- 03/30/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN LAW CHANGES THE WAY PHYSICIANS AND PHYSICIAN’S ASSISTANTS WORK TOGETHER
- 03/22/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN TELEHEALTH LAW TAKES EFFECT MARCH 29: Law Provides Guidance Where Current Law Falls Silent
- 10/12/2016CMS Updates Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Michigan Venture Capital Association
- State Bar of Michigan