Mr. Perry has extensive experience advising nonprofit and exempt organizations and has represented grantmaking foundations, operating foundations, churches and other religious organizations, service agencies, and public charities large and small.
His work on behalf of those clients has included organizing the entity, obtaining tax-exempt status, counseling and assistance to the board and staff members on a variety of matters, assistance with tax and other reporting requirements, and assistance in resolving disputes with the Internal Revenue Service and other matters.
Mr. Perry also has extensive experience in computer law and intellectual property law. He has assisted businesses in the acquisition of data processing systems and software. He has helped banks acquire computer systems and negotiated a joint venture between a bank and a non-bank organization for the marketing of bank-developed software systems, including obtaining regulatory approval.
Mr. Perry has lectured on banking regulatory law, intellectual property law, and exempt organization matters to trade groups and at seminars. He also is a former adjunct professor at the Wayne State University School of Law, where he taught the Small Business Enterprises and Nonprofit Corporations Clinic. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 under Non-Profit/Charities Law, Corporate Law, and Tax Law and is listed as a 2017 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine. Mr. Perry is a trustee of Ann Arbor Charter Township.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2006-2019, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Corporate Law, and Tax Law
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2013-2017
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Ann Arbor Charter Township, Trustee
- Wayne State University School of Law, former Adjunct Professor, Small Business Enterprises and Nonprofit Corporations Clinic
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- 08/15/201746 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 09/17/2015 Forty-eight Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan