Mr. McElhinny is a member of the Business Practice Group.
He represents a broad range of clients, including start-up companies, municipalities, schools, and nonprofit organizations, in general corporate and transactional matters and on matters related to franchisor-franchisee relationships. He has also participated in the appeal of business and real property disputes to the Michigan Court of Appeals and the Michigan Supreme Court.
Mr. McElhinny was a Dean’s scholar and earned several academic honors and awards at Wayne State University Law School, including the Joan Mahoney Scholarship, the State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section Scholarship, the Ira J. Spoon Scholarship, the Bronze and Gold Key Certificates for academic excellence, and the Professor Alan Schenck Annual Student Prize. He worked as an intern for Judge Helene White of the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals. He also served as managing editor and assistant editor of the Wayne Law Review.
He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan (Real Property Law and Business Law sections) and the American Bar Association (Forum on Franchising).
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers," 2017
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Franchising
- State Bar of Michigan
- Real Property Law Section
- Business Law Section
- 03/22/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN TELEHEALTH LAW TAKES EFFECT MARCH 29: Law Provides Guidance Where Current Law Falls Silent
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 10/12/2016CMS Updates Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities
- 08/17/2016STARK LAW IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW EXCEPTIONS: Timeshare Arrangements
- 09/08/2014HHS Begins Phase 2 of HIPAA Compliance Audits; Is Your Institution Prepared?
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Minnesota, B.S.