Mr. Dupes is a member of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group and the Environmental Practice Group.
He represents clients involved in complex commercial litigation and environmental litigation, and counsels clients on a wide variety of environmental matters, including permitting, regulatory compliance, and environmental risk in real estate transactions. He has successfully represented clients in a wide range of industries including automotive, health care, energy, manufacturing, and sports entertainment. He also has served as Assistant City Attorney for the City of Grosse Pointe Park. Mr. Dupes is dedicated to pro bono service and recently has assisted indigent clients discharge burdensome child support debt and defend a personal protective order.
Mr. Dupes is very active in bar activities and non-profit and community-service organizations. He served as one of two inaugural co-chairs of the Federal Bar Association’s RISE Committee for 2013 and 2014, which is dedicated to furthering the interests of less experienced attorneys and helping them become integrated into the federal bar. He currently serves as Executive Board Member of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, for a term ending 2018. He also currently serves as Vice President and Secretary of the Great Lakes Environmental Law Center, a non-profit organization dedicated to addressing environmental challenges facing the Great Lakes region. Finally, he currently serves as Vice President of the Grosse Pointe Newcomers Club, a non-profit organization that assists new residents of the Grosse Pointe communities become integrated in and serve their communities.
In law school, Mr. Dupes was a member of Wayne Law Moot Court, Wayne Law Review, and served as President of the Environmental Law Society. He served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Arthur J. Tarnow of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- "Future Star," Benchmark Litigation 2018
- 2017 Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hotlist
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Federal Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Executive Board Member
- Membership Committee, Co-Chair
- Great Lakes Environmental Law Center, Vice President and Secretary
- Grosse Pointe Newcomers Club, Vice President
- Author, Managing the Outsourced Document Review Project, The Business Suit (DRI Commercial Litigation Committee newsletter), August 2017
- Co-Author, Supplementary Teacher's Manual: Environmental Law & Policy: Nature, Law & Society, (4th Ed. 2010).
- Presenter, Guest lecture in front of Wayne State University Law School’s Environmental Law Clinic, November 2014.
- Presenter, Presentation on the Clean Air Act to Michigan Manufacturers Association, April 2014.
Mr. Dupes' recent matters include:
- Successfully argued a motion to enforce settlement agreement and subsequent appeal in the Michigan Court of Appeals in a matter involving a land use dispute over a cell tower.
- Won summary disposition and subsequent appeal in the Michigan Court of Appeals concerning a dispute between an automotive supplier and manufacturer’s representative.
- Won a jury trial in Grosse Pointe Park Municipal Court, which was affirmed on appeal in Wayne County Circuit Court, concerning building code enforcement.
- Won a declaratory judgment in Oakland County Circuit Court finding that officers of an energy company were not bound to arbitrate any of the claims brought against them in a demand alleging more than $150 million in damages. As a result of leverage from this decision, obtained a full release of claims against them.
- 08/15/2017ARTICLE | Managing the Outsourced Document Review Project
- 08/10/2017Three Bodman Attorneys Named to Benchmark Litigation Under 40 Hotlist
- 02/13/2017Bodman Admits Four New Members
- 07/08/2013Nathan Dupes Appointed to Federal Bar Association Steering Committee
- 04/18/2013PRO BONO PORTRAIT | Bodman Attorneys Help the Homeless Resolve their Legal Impediments
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Michigan, B.A., with Highest Distinction
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan