Mr. Dupes represents clients involved in complex commercial litigation and environmental law matters. He is the Co-Chair of Bodman's Environmental Practice Group.
In addition to representing clients involved in environmental litigation, he counsels clients on a wide variety of other issues, including permitting, regulatory compliance, and environmental risk arising from real estate transactions. He has particular expertise in chemical regulatory law and regularly advises clients on the Toxic Substances Control Act, the Controlled Substances Act, REACH, and other related statutes and regulations.
Mr. Dupes has also been involved in some of the firm’s largest and most complex litigation matters. He has successfully represented clients nationally and internationally in both court and arbitration proceedings, in a wide range of industries, including automotive, IT, health care, energy, manufacturing, and sports entertainment. He has particular expertise in litigation matters involving supply and distribution relationships.
Mr. Dupes is very active in bar activities and non-profit and community-service organizations. He currently serves as Executive Board Member of the Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter. He also currently serves as Vice President and Treasurer of the Great Lakes Environmental Law Center. He is a past Vice President of the Grosse Pointe Newcomers Club.
Mr. Dupes is listed as a “Future Star” in Benchmark Litigation 2019 and was named to the Benchmark Litigation 2019 “40 & Under Hot List." He is listed as a 2019 “Top Lawyer” in Environmental Law by DBusiness Magazine and in Michigan Rising Stars 2018 under Business Litigation.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018-2019, Environmental Law
- Benchmark Litigation 2017-2019, Future Star
- Benchmark Litigation 2017-2019, "40 & Under Hot List"
- Michigan Rising Stars 2018, Business Litigation
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Federal Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Executive Board Member
- Environmental Committee, Co-Chair
- Great Lakes Environmental Law Center, Vice President and Treasurer
- Grosse Pointe Newcomers Club, past Vice President
- Co-Author (with Joseph T. Muzingo), "Attacking the Massive ESI Project on Two Fronts," In-House Defense Quarterly (Winter 2019)
- Author, "Managing the Outsourced Document Review Project," The Business Suit (DRI Commercial Litigation Committee newsletter), August 2017
- Co-Author, Supplementary Teacher's Manual: Environmental Law & Policy: Nature, Law & Society, (4th Ed. 2010).
- Presenter, "Environmental Due Diligence in Real Estate Transactions," Wayne State University Law School, October 2017.
- Presenter, Guest lecture in front of Wayne State University Law School’s Environmental Law Clinic, November 2014.
- Presenter, Presentation on the Clean Air Act to Michigan Manufacturers Association, April 2014.
Recent Environmental matters include:
- Counseled chemical formulator and automotive clients on the recent amendments to the Toxic Substances Control Act and assist with various submissions to the EPA under that statute, including pre-manufacture notices, low volume exemptions, and reporting under the Inventory Reset rule.
- Assisted paper manufacturer obtain permits for multiple plants under federal and state air and water pollution control laws.
- Counseled clients on managing environmental risk in real estate and M&A transactions, including advice on CERCLA and Michigan’s Part 201 statute.
- Represented a municipality in a long-running environmental litigation involving remediation of a large plume of 1,4-dioxane contamination in the groundwater under the municipality and neighboring communities.
- Represented a cement manufacturer in a petition filed in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals for review of an EPA rule under the Clean Air Act.
Recent Commercial Litigation matters include:
- Represented manufacturer in an international arbitration proceeding in London involving the respondents’ failure to honor a multiyear distribution agreement to purchase mining equipment.
- Represented automobile manufacturer in litigation over termination of distribution relationship for the sale of products in Greece.
- Represented professional football team in litigation brought by a former NFL prospect seeking millions of dollars for alleged injuries and a lost NFL career.
- Represented IT services provider in litigation against former employee for violation of confidentiality and non-compete obligations.
- Represented energy company and officers in an arbitration involving numerous claims and millions of dollars in alleged damages arising out of an investment in a storage facility.
- 08/01/2019Four Bodman Attorneys Named to Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List
- 11/16/2018Bodman PLC “Highly Recommended” in Benchmark Litigation 2019
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 07/06/2018Four Bodman Attorneys Named to Benchmark Litigation 40 & Under Hot List
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Michigan, B.A., with Highest Distinction
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan