Melissa Tetreau counsels employers on compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws, represents them in connection with employment disputes, and assists employers and individuals in connection with immigration matters.
She has represented employers in proceedings before state and federal agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, and the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. She has defended claims filed under Title VII, the FMLA, ADA, ADEA, and FLSA.
Ms. Tetreau is a member of Detroit SHRM and serves on the organization's Legal Affairs Committee. She is also a member of Inforum Michigan.
She graduated first in her class from the University of Toledo College of Law and served as Managing Editor of the University of Toledo Law Review. She won the 2013 Charles W. Fornoff Appellate Advocacy Competition, an annual program that helps second and third year law students gain real-world experience in oral advocacy.
She is the author of “Wrongful Surrogacy: The Need for a Right of Action in Cases of Clear Negligence,” 46 U.Tol.L.Rev. 681 (2016).
Ms. Tetreau is a graduate of Leadership Monroe, Class of 2016-2017. She is proficient in written and spoken Spanish.
- Detroit SHRM, Legal Affairs Committee Member
- Inforum Michigan
- Author, "Police Issue Stay-at-Home Order Violation Warnings to Businesses," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- Author, "Designating Critical Infrastructure Workers & Workers Necessary for Minimum Basic Operations," Bodman COVID-19 Response Team Update, March 2020
- 01/06/2020Workplace Law Lowdown | NLRB Reworks "Quickie Election" Rules
- 11/25/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | What Disabilities Does the ADA Cover?
- 10/01/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | PWDCRA Assessment of Essential Functions and Reasonable Accommodations Given Physical Examination Requirement
- 09/25/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Unveils Significant Revisions to Federal Overtime Laws, Increasing Salary Threshold to $35,568
- 05/02/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Provides New Insight on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Classification, Just As Michigan AG Launches Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Grand Valley State University, B.A., with honors
- Society for Human Resource Management