Mr. Bakst represents clients in the areas of creditors' rights, bankruptcy, reorganization, and insolvency. He regularly represents secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, trustees, and creditors' committees in loan workout and other negotiations and in state and federal courts.
Upon graduation from Wayne State University Law School, Mr. Bakst clerked for a U.S. Bankruptcy Judge for the Eastern District of Michigan.
He is a former two-term board member of the Detroit Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association. He served as chairperson of the Bankruptcy and Debtor-Creditor Rights Committee of the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan from 1996 to 2000 and is a member of numerous other bankruptcy and creditors’ rights related organizations including the American Bankruptcy Institute. He often lectures in the areas of bankruptcy and creditors’ rights.
Mr. Bakst is on the Executive Committee, is Treasurer of the Board of Directors, and is Chair of the Finance Committee for the Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit. He served previously on the Advisory Board of the Michigan Israel Business Accelerator, as a member of the Community Advisory Board for the Detroit Jewish News, and on the board of the Detroit Chapter of the American Jewish Committee. Mr. Bakst also served on the Zoning Board of Appeals of the City of Oak Park from 1996 to 2000.
He has been included in The Best Lawyers in America since 2009 in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy. He has also been included in Michigan Super Lawyers under Bankruptcy: Business for the past decade. Mr. Bakst has been annually listed as a “Top Lawyer” for Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights by metro Detroit business magazine DBusiness since the list debuted in 2009. He is Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence and endorsed for High Ethical Standing.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2009-2020; Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2019, Bankruptcy: Business
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2009-2020, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit
- Member, Executive Committee
- Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Chair, Finance Committee
- Michigan Israel Business Accelerator, Former Member, Advisory Board
- Michigan Israel Business Bridge, Former Member, Board of Directors
- American Jewish Committee, Detroit Chapter, former Member, Board of Directors
- Detroit Jewish News, former Member, Community Advisory Board
- City of Oak Park, former Member, Zoning Board of Appeals
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), Member
- Detroit Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Detroit Chapter, former Director
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section, Member
- Real Property Law Section, Member
- Debtor-Creditor Rights Committee, Chair, 1996-2000
- Panelist, "Liquidating Assets," American Bankruptcy Institute 27th Annual Central States Virtual Bankruptcy Workshop, June 26, 2020
- 06/03/2020Marc Bakst Named to New Leadership Positions with Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 08/15/201948 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2020 Best Lawyers in America List
- 05/15/2019Bodman Attorney Marc Bakst Elected to JFS Executive Committee
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, A.B.
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Turnaround Management Association®