Mr. Deitch focuses his practice in corporate law, real estate law, and government relations.
He has substantial experience in corporate governance matters, mergers and acquisitions, and structuring joint venture relationships, with a particular focus on the automotive and general industrial sectors. He also advises clients on all of the legal issues arising out of real estate development, leasing, and finance.
Mr. Deitch is the chair of Bodman's Automotive Industry Team. He has been a key advisor on numerous cross-border M&A transactions involving buyers and sellers located in Japan, India, Mexico, and Europe.
As part of his diversified business practice, Mr. Deitch authored the ballot proposal which was later enacted into law as the Michigan Gaming Control and Revenue Act which authorized casino gaming in the City of Detroit.
Mr. Deitch is active in public service and community organizations. He is a member of the Board of Regents of the University of Michigan, a Director of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and a member of the National Advisory Board of the University of Michigan Museum of Art. He has served previously as vice chair of the Michigan Civil Service Commission, as treasurer of the Michigan Democratic Party, as vice chair of the Governor’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Welfare Reform, as a member of the National Advisory Council to the United States Small Business Administration, as a trustee of the Michigan Cancer Foundation, and as a director of the National Conference for Community and Justice.
The Los Angeles-based publication Lawdragon has named Mr. Deitch one of the "Top 500 Dealmakers" in the United States. Mr. Deitch is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 under Corporate Law, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 under Corporate/M&A, and Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2016 under Business/Corporate. He is listed as a 2016 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2003-2017, Corporate Law
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2009-2016
- Chambers USA 2016, Corporate/M&A
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- State Bar of Michigan
- Corporate Law Section
- Real Property Law Section
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- University of Michigan, Board of Regents
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Director
- National Advisory Board of the University of Michigan Museum of Art
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 06/02/2016Chambers USA 2016 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- 09/28/201551 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- 09/17/2015 Forty-eight Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1972
- B.A., University of Michigan, 1969
- Michigan, 1972
- State Bar of Michigan