Mr. Shulman represents lenders in loan originations. His practice also encompasses loan workouts, contract and other general business matters, as well as counseling lenders on lender liability issues. In addition, he represents lenders acting in non-lending capacities such as trustee or escrow agent.
Mr. Shulman has extensive experience representing lenders providing credit enhancements for commercial paper back-up facilities and municipal bonds and representing lenders purchasing tax exempt bonds.
Mr. Shulman has handled a wide variety of loan transactions including leveraged buyout and leveraged recapitalization loans, asset-based loans, letter of credit and bankers acceptance facilities and multi-rate, multi-currency loan facilities. Mr. Shulman’s expertise includes structuring and documenting agented and syndicated loan facilities and other commercial transactions.
Currently, Mr. Shulman serves as interim chairman of Bodman’s Executive Committee, which guides firm operations and business strategy. He also previously served as chairman from 2000 to 2010.
Mr. Shulman was named the 2020 Detroit Banking and Finance "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America. He has received the highest possible "Star Individual" rating in the category of Banking & Finance in the latest edition of Chambers USA. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 under Banking and Finance Law, in IFLR1000 2019 under Banking and Finance, and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019 under Banking Law. He is also recognized in Super Lawyers as one of the Top 100 lawyers in Michigan. He is listed as a 2020 "Top Lawyer" for Banking & Financial Services by DBusiness magazine. Mr. Shulman is AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Shulman is involved with a variety of professional, civic and community organizations.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2019, Banking and Finance ("Star Individual")
- The Best Lawyers in America 2003-2020, Banking and Finance Law
- The Best Lawyers in America 2009, 2016 and 2020 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year," Banking and Finance
- IFLR1000 2019, Banking and Finance
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2019, Banking
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010-2020, Banking & Financial Services
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- State Bar of Michigan
- Corporate Law Section
- Real Property Law Section
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 10/16/2019Felicia M. Thomas Joins Bodman as Director of Diversity and Inclusion
- 10/01/2019Bodman Places Highest Among Michigan Law Firms on NLJ500 Women's Scorecard
- 09/03/201949 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2019
- 08/15/201948 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2020 Best Lawyers in America List
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)