Mr. Shulman represents lenders in loan originations. His practice also encompasses loan workouts, contract and other general business matters, as well as counseling lenders on lender liability issues. In addition, he represents lenders acting in non-lending capacities such as trustee or escrow agent.
Mr. Shulman has extensive experience representing lenders providing credit enhancements for commercial paper back-up facilities and municipal bonds and representing lenders purchasing tax exempt bonds.
Mr. Shulman has handled a wide variety of loan transactions including leveraged buyout and leveraged recapitalization loans, asset-based loans, letter of credit and bankers acceptance facilities and multi-rate, multi-currency loan facilities. Mr. Shulman’s expertise includes structuring and documenting agented and syndicated loan facilities and other commercial transactions.
Mr. Shulman served for ten years as chairman of Bodman's Executive Committee.
Mr. Shulman has been named the 2016 Detroit Banking "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America. He has received the highest possible "Star Individual" rating in the category of Banking & Finance in the 2016 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 under Banking and Finance Law and in Michigan Super Lawyers under Banking Law. He is also recognized in Super Lawyers as one of the Top 100 lawyers in Michigan. He is listed as a 2017 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine. Mr. Shulman is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Shulman is involved with a variety of professional, civic and community organizations. He currently serves on the board of directors of Forgotten Harvest.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America 2017, Banking and Finance Law
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers," 2010-2017
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2016
- Chambers USA 2016, Banking and Finance
- The Best Lawyers in America 2016 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year," Banking
- "Star Individual," Chambers USA 2010-2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- State Bar of Michigan
- Corporate Law Section
- Real Property Law Section
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Forgotten Harvest, Board of Directors
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/28/2016PRO BONO PORTRAIT | Forgotten Harvest Enters into Co-Branding Agreement with Michigan Food Producers
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 06/02/2016Chambers USA 2016 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)