Ms. Burnell is a member of the High Net Worth and Tax Practice Groups practicing in the Detroit and Ann Arbor offices. She advises clients on estate, gift, and income tax matters. She also focuses her practice on estate planning and business planning.
Ms. Burnell also represents wealthy clients and business owners in a variety of matters include corporate organization, succession planning and residential and commercial real estate transactions.
Ms. Burnell assists clients with a variety economic development projects and advises them on property tax abatements, tax credits, financial grants and other incentives. She has successfully represented corporate clients seeking to identify and obtain all available government incentives to locate or expand facilities in Michigan. For example, Ms. Burnell helped a Fortune 500 company obtain more than $7 million in tax and business development incentives to establish a new headquarters facility in Michigan. She also helped an international company obtain over $1 million in property tax savings to establish a new research and development facility in Michigan.
At Michigan State University College of Law, Ms. Burnell served as Managing Editor of Outside Submissions for the Journal of Business & Securities Law. She served as a teaching assistant for Basic Income Taxation A and B and as a law clerk for the State of Michigan Tax Tribunal. She was a recipient of the Jurisprudence Award in Estate and Gift Taxation. Prior to joining Bodman, Ms. Burnell was an attorney in Tax Services at Ernst & Young.
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- State Bar of Michigan
- Probate & Estate Planning Section
- Taxation Section
- "Other Voices: Tax Credits Can Help Revive Communities," Crain's Detroit Business, October 9, 2011 (sub. req.)
- “Estate Planning Tax Considerations for 2015,” Speaker, Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), February 19, 2015, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- “2014 Annual Accounting & Regulatory Update: Estate Planning and Property Transfer Update," Presenter, UHY LLP, December 4, 2014, Troy, Michigan
- “Directed Trusts and Divided Trusteeship: Origin Evolution and Implications,” Speaker, Midwest Trust and Wealth Management Conference/Michigan Bankers Association, October 7, 2014, Plymouth, Michigan
- “2013 Annual Accounting & Regulatory Update: Estate Tax Planning & Succession Transfers,” Co-presenter, UHY LLP, December 4, 2013, Troy, Michigan
- 02/04/2014Bodman PLC Admits Six New Members
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Michigan, Stephen M. Ross School of Business, B.B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan Detroit