Ms. Rothstein is a member of Bodman's Enterprise Procurement Group and Intellectual Property Practice Group.
She represents business clients in the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of commercial contracts, including:
- supply, transportation and warehousing agreements
- mortgage loan origination, purchase, and servicing agreements
- equipment disposal service agreements
- professional services/consulting services agreements
- data licensing agreements
- software licensing agreements
- marketing and referral agreements
- security technology agreements
- payment processing agreements
- other outsourcing, procurement, and supply arrangements
Ms. Rothstein assists bank clients to address Internet security and privacy issues and to appropriately structure account, web and mobile banking, correspondent banking, and treasury management agreements, including:
- treasury management software, system, service, and product vendor agreements
- master treasury management services customer agreements
- ACH agreements
- wire transfer agreements
- lockbox agreements
- commercial, pre-paid, and stored value card agreements
- cash vault agreements
- positive pay agreements
Before joining Bodman, Ms. Rothstein was associate general counsel for a rapidly growing company where she drafted, reviewed, and edited contracts and litigated breach of contract actions.
In law school, Ms. Rothstein served as the Director of Oral Advocacy on the Executive Board of Wayne State University's Moot Court and served as President of the WSU Law Chapter of the American Constitution Society. She was a recipient of the 1st Place Brief Award and the 2nd Place Brief Writer Award from Wayne State University Law School Moot Court and the recipient of the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation Outstanding Woman Law Student Award. She participated in the Wayne State University Law School Small Business Enterprises and Nonprofit Corporations Clinic, where she represented clients in business transactions. She interned with the Honorable Justice Marilyn Kelly of the Michigan Supreme Court and with the Honorable Julian A. Cook of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Ms. Rothstein serves on the board of directors of the Great Lakes Environmental Law Center and the Detroit Treasury Management Association.
- 2017 Wayne State University Law School Reunion Host Committee
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Detroit Treasury Management Association, Board Member, 2014-Present
- Great Lakes Environmental Law Center, Board Member, 2011-Present
“What to Watch For in the Privacy and Security Realm When Negotiating Services Agreements,” Detroit Treasury Management Association, March 9, 2017
“ACH Update: Same Day ACH,” FICC Telebriefings, November 2015
“Commercially Reasonable Security Procedures: Mitigating Risk Associated with Fraudulent Payment Orders,” FICC Regional Meetings, August 2016
“Online and Mobile Products: Checking the Role of Authorized Signers and Agents on Consumer Accounts,” FICCTelebriefing, October 15-16, 2014
“DOJ, ADA, Websites and You,” FICC Telebriefing, April 15 & 23, 2014
“Vendor Management: Manage the Risk, Manage the Vendor,” FICC Regional Meeting
Ms. Rothstein's recent matters include:
Treasury Management Suite of AgreementsPrepared a comprehensive treasury management services master agreement, inclusive of authorization forms and setup forms, for a growing Michigan bank. The Michigan bank had recently acquired several other banks and sought to update its treasury management services agreement. The bank simultaneously sought to amend the terms of services that its inherited customers received from the acquired banks to the updated terms of its new treasury management agreement. Ms. Rothstein prepared a master agreement that clearly presented the terms of the bank’s treasury management services to its customers, accounted for legacy operational distinctions of the client bank and its predecessors, and offered maximum legal protections to the bank under applicable law. Similarly, Ms. Rothstein assisted another bank client to restructure its treasury management services agreements to simplify presentation to customers while minimizing the bank’s risk of exposure from unauthorized transactions.
Website ReviewConducted a comprehensive website review for a client seeking to launch a new website. Ms. Rothstein advised the client on use of trademarks and service marks, social media, photographs and images from media providers, and links to third party sources. Ms. Rothstein reviewed vendor agreements with the third party service providers designing, hosting and maintaining the site; data providers; media providers and providers of products advertised on the site to ensure the client’s compliance with all such agreements.
Correspondent Bank RelationshipNegotiated agreements between U.S. and foreign banking institutions for a client bank seeking to establish correspondent banking relationships abroad. The client sought to partner with banks that could accept foreign currency payments on behalf of its customers and to transfer such payments to the customer’s U.S. account held with the client bank. Ms. Rothstein helped the client identify and understand the terms governing its legal relationship with the foreign bank and negotiated terms to maximize security of data, protect confidential and customer information, comply with applicable U.S. privacy laws, and minimize overall risk to the client bank.
Account Conversions Resulting from Bank AcquisitionPrepared change in terms notices for business and consumer bank account conversions necessitated by an acquisition by a client bank. Ms. Rothstein identified the client’s legal obligations to provide notices to customers for each account type, compared the terms of the predecessor account to the terms of the successor account, and prepared each legally required notice for the client bank. Ms. Rothstein advised the client on the time frames in which each notice was to be supplied to comply with applicable law and delivered clearly identified notices with “how to use” explanations.
- 07/26/2017Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Trademark Law Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- 07/19/2017ENTERPRISE PROCUREMENT ALERT | The Enterprise Procurement Group Update | 18 July 2017
- 05/17/2017THE ENTERPRISE PROCUREMENT GROUP UPDATE | UNCERTAINTY SURROUNDING DODD-FRANK AND OTHER REGULATIONS
- 02/13/2017Bodman Admits Four New Members
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Detroit Treasury Management Association
- Great Lakes Environmental Law Center
- State Bar of Michigan
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation