Ms. Piper specializes in workplace law, education law, and litigation.
She represents and counsels employers on contemporary employment law issues, such as, workplace bullying; social media issues; background checks; and employee privacy; as well as traditional employment law issues such as, discrimination, sexual and other forms of illegal harassment, and retaliation issues; accommodating employees with disabilities; FMLA issues; wage and hour issues; reductions-in-force, discipline and discharge issues; and affirmative action plans. Ms. Piper has conducted a number of employment investigations and training seminars for a variety of clients.
Ms. Piper also has successfully defended numerous discrimination and wrongful discharge cases at the administrative, trial, and appellate levels. She has particular expertise representing employers, parishes, schools and social service agencies, having represented the Archdiocese of Detroit, Catholic Social Services, Hillsdale College, and Holy Cross Children's Services in litigation.
Ms. Piper is a frequent speaker to industry and professional groups, including the Financial Institutions Compliance Cooperative, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, National Catholic Education Association, Detroit SHRM, Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit -- Alliance for Jewish Education, and the Archdiocese of Detroit. She is an adjunct professor at Madonna University where she teaches a graduate course on legal issues in education for the Catholic School Leadership Program.
Ms. Piper is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2017 under Labor & Employment and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017 under Employment & Labor. She is listed as a 2016 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness magazine. She is Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Detroit Society for Human Resource Management and a member of the National Catholic Education Association. She is Chair of the Board of Trustees for Ladywood High School. She received the Distinguished Brief Award from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1998. She is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2017, Labor & Employment
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers," 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2012-2017, Employment & Labor
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Detroit Society for Human Resource Management, Secretary of the Board of Directors, 2014-Present
- Ladywood High School, Chair of the Board of Trustees, 2013-Present
- Madonna University, Adjunct Professor, 1999-2014
- 10/04/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Seventh Circuit: ADA Is Not a Medical Leave Entitlement
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 09/01/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | BREAKING NEWS: Federal Court Rules DOL'S 2016 Overtime Rule is Invalid
- 08/31/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Good News: OMB Suspends EEO-1 Pay Data Reporting Requirement
- 08/10/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Massachusetts Medical Marijuana User's Disability Discrimination Claim Reinstated
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Wayne State University, B.A., with distinction
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Society for Human Resource Management
- National Catholic Education Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- State Bar of Michigan