Ms. Piper specializes in workplace law, education law, and litigation.
She represents and counsels employers on contemporary employment law issues, such as workplace bullying; social media issues; background checks; and employee privacy; as well as traditional employment law issues such as discrimination, sexual and other forms of illegal harassment, and retaliation issues; accommodating employees with disabilities; FMLA issues; wage and hour issues; reductions-in-force, discipline and discharge issues; and affirmative action plans. Ms. Piper has conducted a number of employment investigations and training seminars for a variety of clients.
Ms. Piper also has successfully defended numerous discrimination and wrongful discharge cases at the administrative, trial, and appellate levels. She has particular expertise representing employers, parishes, schools and social service agencies, including the Archdiocese of Detroit, Catholic Social Services, Hillsdale College, and Holy Cross Children's Services, in litigation.
Ms. Piper is a frequent speaker to industry and professional groups, including the Financial Institutions Compliance Cooperative, Michigan Chamber of Commerce, National Catholic Education Association, Detroit SHRM, Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit -- Alliance for Jewish Education, and the Archdiocese of Detroit. She served as an adjunct professor at Madonna University where she taught a graduate course on legal issues in education for the Catholic School Leadership Program.
Ms. Piper is listed in Chambers USA 2018 under Labor & Employment and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018 under Employment & Labor. She is listed as a 2020 "Top Lawyer" for Labor and Employment by DBusiness Magazine. She is Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Detroit Society for Human Resource Management and a member of the National Catholic Education Association. She is Chair of the Board of Trustees for Ladywood High School. She received the Distinguished Brief Award from Thomas M. Cooley Law School in 1998. She is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2018, Labor & Employment
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers," 2020, Labor and Employment
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2012-2018, Employment & Labor
- Distinguished Brief Award, Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1998
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Detroit Society for Human Resource Management, Secretary, Board of Directors
- Ladywood High School, Chair, Board of Trustees
- Madonna University, Adjunct Professor, 1999-2014
- 11/01/201969 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 05/02/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Provides New Insight on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Classification, Just As Michigan AG Launches Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 06/04/2018Chambers USA 2018 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- 01/18/2018WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Issues New Guidance On Test For Unpaid Internships
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Wayne State University, B.A., with distinction
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Society for Human Resource Management
- National Catholic Education Association
- Society for Human Resource Management
- State Bar of Michigan