Joseph Nuyen is a corporate attorney with more than 35 years of experience serving as general and special counsel to businesses and nonprofit organizations, particularly those in the health care industry. He is the chair of Bodman’s Health Care Practice Group.
Nuyen has extensive health care law experience. He represents hospitals, health systems, life science companies, home medical equipment companies, home health agencies, hospices, pharmacies, and physicians. He frequently serves as counsel to health care providers and suppliers in mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures. He also counsels health care clients on the full range of regulatory matters, including compliance with federal and state antifraud statutes, including Stark, Anti-kickback, False Claims Act and other health care fraud statutes, reimbursement matters, HIPAA, NPDB reporting issues, and attainment and maintenance of tax-exempt status, among others.
The State Bar of Florida has certified Nuyen as a Specialist in Health Law since 1995, the first year that it granted such certification. Board Certification is the Florida Bar’s highest level of recognition of an attorney’s competency and experience.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 1995-2019, Health Care Law
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year”, Ann Arbor 2012 and 2018
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers"
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2007-2018 , Health Care Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated
- State Bar of Michigan (Health Law Section)
- State Bar of Florida (Health Law Section)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Health Care Section
- Michigan Society of Healthcare Attorneys, Former Director
- Lecturer, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (Health Care Law Topics)
- Wayne State University Law SchooI, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
Kalamazoo College, B.A., cum laude
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Florida Bar