Jonathan Burleigh is Chair and a founding member of Bodman’s Enterprise Procurement Group (EPG). Jonathan facilitates increased efficiency, reduced risk and reduced legal spend for his clients in the commercial contracting and transactional space.
Over the past eleven years, Jonathan has negotiated thousands of agreements with a multitude of vendors representing billions of dollars in spend. This level of experience (EPG negotiated more than 2,250 contracts in 2018) provides familiarity with many of the vendors commonly utilized by his clients.
Jonathan’s practice centers around a service-oriented, team approach to deliver effective and flexible legal support for the corporate procurement and sourcing functions of his commercial clients. This approach provides clients with cost certainty, reduced transactional times and reduced risk through improved contractual terms.
By working closely with his clients’ procurement/sourcing departments, business teams and internal counsel, Jonathan works to close commercial transactions efficiently while helping clients understand and evaluate the important legal issues without hindering the client's business goals.
Although Jonathan has negotiated agreements and managed projects across the spectrum of business relationships, he has developed specific expertise in the banking, automotive, specialty manufacturing and professional services spaces in following areas:
- information technology
- business process and technology outsourcing
- banking and securities (including debit and credit card and processing agreements)
- corporate outsourcing
- HR provider and benefits agreements
- professional and consulting services
- marketing engagements and sponsorships
- records management
- security services and equipment
- facilities management
- transportation and logistics
Before joining Bodman, Jonathan had a career in corporate sales, acting both as a National Account Director (including several Fortune 100 clients) and as a National Sales Manager. Jonathan’s background in corporate sales is concentrated in the areas of information technology and transportation and logistics. Jonathan was also involved in international trade in Russia and the former Soviet republics and has traveled extensively in those areas, both performing consulting services and facilitating the set-up of new businesses.
Jonathan is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law. His activities in law school included acting as an associate editor of the University of Detroit Mercy Law Review, involvement as a member of the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law Moot Court Board of Advocates, and serving as a member of the Dean’s Tutorial Society for Legal Writing.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2019-2021, Commercial Law
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- South Oakland Shelter, Member, Board of Directors
- Institute for Supply Management Southeast Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section
- Information Technology Law Section
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 07/26/2017Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Trademark Law Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- 07/19/2017ENTERPRISE PROCUREMENT ALERT | The Enterprise Procurement Group Update | 18 July 2017
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- The American University, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan