Mr. Cashen represents employers in all aspects of employment law and related litigation. He served as chairperson of Bodman's Workplace Law Practice Group for ten years.
Mr. Cashen assists clients facing charges of discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, Whistleblowers’ Act violations and similar claims in federal and state courts, administrative proceedings and arbitration hearings. He has conducted numerous trials and arbitrations in Michigan, Ohio, Missouri and Wisconsin. Realizing that a trial or arbitration on the merits is not always in an employer’s best interest, Mr. Cashen has had significant success obtaining summary judgment for employers and with alternative dispute resolution.
Mr. Cashen advises clients on labor management relations, from union election issues and collective bargaining to representation before the National Labor Relations Board.
Mr. Cashen has provided legal services in a variety of industries. For example, he has extensive experience in the health care field, counseling health service providers on employment law issues, defending hospitals and physicians from discrimination and wrongful discharge lawsuits, drafting employment related documents, and addressing and litigating non-compete issues. Similarly, he has served automotive industry clients in all aspects of employment law, traditional labor law, and related litigation and arbitration.
Mr. Cashen has spoken to professional groups on a variety of employment topics including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, reductions in force, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, sexual harassment, the Family and Medical Leave Act, workplace surveillance and privacy issues, non-compete agreements, at will employment, contract employees, and volunteer liability.
Mr. Cashen is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 under Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, and Qui Tam Law, in Chambers USA 2018 under Labor and Employment, and in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017 under Employment & Labor. He is listed as a 2018 "Top Lawyer" for Labor and Employment by DBusiness magazine. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2005-2019, Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, and Qui Tam Law
- Chambers USA 2007-2009, 2013-2018, Labor & Employment
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2017, Employment & Labor
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2009-2014, 2018, Labor and Employment
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA), Member
- Author, "Self-Audit of Employment Practices," The Agenda, Spring 2000
- Co-Author, "Flexible Staffing - A Panacea for Employers or Pitfall for the Unwary?," Bar Briefs, December 1994
Mr. Cashen's recent matters include:
- Calloway v Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, 800 F 3d 244 (6th Cir 2015)
- Sami v Detroit Medical Center, 2014 FEP Cases 173236 (6th Cir 2014)
- Meadows v Wahler Automotive Systems, Inc., 45 F Supp 3d 645 (ED Mich 2014)
- Grede II, Berlin, 132 LA 1317 (Arb 2013)
- IAC Sheboygan LLC, 126 LA 1665 (Arb. 2009)
- In re B&K Corporation and International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW), Local 455 124 Lab. Arb. Rep. (BNA) 1351 (2008)
- Service Employees International Union Local 3 v Knight Facilities Management, Inc. 2005 US Dist Lexis 8967 (2005)
- Schuch v Savair, Inc. 2004 US App Lexis 24304 (2004)
- Moore v Kuka Welding Systems 171 F 3d 1073 (1999)
- Johnson v United Auto., Aero. & Agric. Implement Workers of Am., Local 174 1999 US App Lexis 32080 (1999)
- Owens v Lear Seating Corp. 1997 US Dist Lexis 12127 (1997)
- Spedowski v Lear Seigler Plastic Corp. 1996 US Dist Lexis 5817 (1996)
- Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp. v Warren 193 Mich App 348 (1992)
- Haque Travel Agency v Travel Agents International, Inc. 808 F Supp 569
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- 06/04/2018Chambers USA 2018 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan’s Top Business Law Firms
- 01/18/2018WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Issues New Guidance On Test For Unpaid Internships
- 11/21/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Sex Harassment News Should Spark Employer Action
- 11/09/201765 Bodman Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers 2018” by DBusiness Magazine
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Aquinas College, B.A., magna cum laude
- Aquinas College, B.S., magna cum laude
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- State Bar of Michigan