Mr. Gourley is a member of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
He represents clients in all facets of complex business and commercial litigation with a particular emphasis on antitrust, intellectual property, business torts, and class actions.
Mr. Gourley's clients include non-profit healthcare organizations, privately held companies, and large banking institutions and commercial lenders. He has extensive experience in Michigan and federal courts. He also has significant alternative dispute resolution experience, including certified Mediator training from Humbodlt University in Berlin, Germany.
Mr. Gourley's practice frequently involves complex class action defense on both the state and national level. He represents Michigan's largest health insurer in antitrust litigation involving the U.S. Department of Justice, the Michigan Attorney General, and class action plaintiffs. He has also defended class actions challenging certain coverage provisions of health insurance contracts under both state breach of contract and ERISA. Mr. Gourley successfully opposed class certification in a case involving claims by hundreds of municipal entities that certain contractual fees were hidden and collected without knowledge or consent. His experience defending qui tam actions includes successful representation of a private practice against allegations of Medicare fraud exceeding $100 million.
Mr. Gourley is listed as a "Litigation Star" in Benchmark Litigation and is recognized as a "Rising Star" in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016 under Business Litigation.
In law school, Mr. Gourley served as the law clerk for the ACLU of Louisiana, handling all aspects of civil rights litigation practice and legislative drafting.
Mr. Gourley resides in the Lafayette Park neighborhood of Detroit and is active in local community service organizations including Greening of Detroit and Gleaners Food Bank. He serves on the Board of Trustees of Nonprofit Enterprise at Work, Inc. He also represents Lafayette Park as a member of the Detroit City Futbol League, though his athletic ability is often described as non-existent.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- "Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2013-2016
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Work, Inc., Board of Trustees of Nonprofit Enterprise
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 11/10/2015Bodman PLC Highly Recommended in Benchmark Litigation 2016
- 09/28/201551 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- 11/21/2014Bodman PLC Achieves High Rating in Benchmark Litigation
- 02/13/2012Bodman PLC Admits Four New Members
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., Order of the Barristers
- Humboldt University (Berlin, Germany), ADR Mediator Training
- University of Michigan, B.A., with distinction
- State Bar of Michigan