Mr. Gourley is a member of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He represents clients in all facets of complex business and commercial litigation with a particular emphasis on antitrust, intellectual property, business torts, and class actions.
Mr. Gourley's clients include non-profit healthcare organizations, privately held companies, and large banking institutions and commercial lenders. He has extensive experience in Michigan and federal courts. He also has significant alternative dispute resolution experience, including certified mediator training from Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany.
Mr. Gourley's practice frequently involves complex class action defense on both the state and national levels. He represents Michigan's largest health insurer in antitrust litigation involving the U.S. Department of Justice, the Michigan Attorney General, and class action plaintiffs. He has also defended class actions challenging certain coverage provisions of health insurance contracts under both state breach of contract and ERISA. Mr. Gourley successfully opposed class certification in a case involving claims by hundreds of municipal entities that certain contractual fees were hidden and collected without knowledge or consent. His experience defending qui tam actions includes successful representation of a private practice against allegations of Medicare fraud exceeding $100 million.
Mr. Gourley is listed as a "Litigation Star" in Benchmark Litigation and is recognized in Michigan Rising Stars 2016 under Business Litigation. He is listed as a 2018 "Top Lawyer" for Litigation-Insurance by DBusiness Magazine. Michigan Lawyers Weekly named him one of Michigan's "Up & Coming Lawyers" in 2013.
In law school, Mr. Gourley served as the law clerk for the ACLU of Louisiana, handling all aspects of civil rights litigation practice and legislative drafting.
Mr. Gourley resides in the Lafayette Park neighborhood of Detroit and is active in local community service organizations including Greening of Detroit and Gleaners Food Bank. He serves on the Board of Trustees of Nonprofit Enterprise at Work, Inc. He also represents Lafayette Park as a member of the Detroit City Futbol League, though his athletic ability is often described as non-existent.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018, Litigation-Insurance
- Benchmark Litigation 2018, State Litigation Star
- Michigan Rising Stars 2013-2016, Business Litigation
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly "Up & Coming Lawyers" 2013
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Nonprofit Enterprise at Work, Member, Board of Trustees
- 11/09/201765 Bodman Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers 2018” by DBusiness Magazine
- 10/10/2017Bodman PLC “Highly Recommended” in Benchmark Litigation 2018
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 11/10/2015Bodman PLC Highly Recommended in Benchmark Litigation 2016
- 09/28/201551 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., Order of the Barristers
- Humboldt University (Berlin, Germany), ADR Mediator Training
- University of Michigan, B.A., with distinction
- State Bar of Michigan