Mr. Kemsley has moved to of-counsel status following his 46-year career with Bodman as a member of the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group and as the firm’s General Counsel from 1987 to 2017. He continues to participate in the firm’s representation of selected clients.
During his career, Mr. Kemsley has represented banks, financial institutions, mortgage lenders and servicers, and other corporations in complex business and corporate litigation, including the defense of class actions. He has defended many large law firms in cases involving claims of legal malpractice and other misconduct. He also has handled trust and probate litigation involving business trusts, non-profits and foundations, and involving trusts and estates of wealthy individuals. He has substantial experience in trademark and unfair competition litigation, letter of credit litigation, legal ethics matters, distributor termination cases, bankruptcy litigation, real estate and building restriction disputes, business acquisition and securities fraud cases, and products and premises liability matters.
Mr. Kemsley was on the Council of the State Bar of Michigan Litigation Section from 1996 to 2000. From 1990 to 1995 he was a member of the Product Liability Advisory Council. He has been an author and a frequent speaker on matters involving legal malpractice, professional responsibility, and ethics.
Mr. Kemsley is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2007-2013 and 2017-2018 under Business Litigation, in The Best Lawyers in America 2016-2020 under Commercial Litigation, and as a “State Litigation Star” in Benchmark Litigation 2018. He is listed as a 2019 “Top Lawyer” for Legal Malpractice Law by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2016-2020, Commercial Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation 2018, State Litigation Star
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010-2011, 2013-2014, 2016, 2018-2019, Legal Malpractice Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2007-2013, 2017-2018, Business Litigation
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Attorneys' Liability Assurance Society Ltd. (ALAS Ltd.), Regional Loss Prevention Coordinator
- State Bar of Michigan
- Standing Committee on Grievance, 2005-2007
- Special Committee on Multidisciplinary Practice, 1999-2002
- Standing Committee on Professional and Judicial Ethics, 1997-2004
Detroit Bar Association (DBA), Member (prior)
Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA), Member (prior)
- American Bar Association (ABA) (prior)
- Professional Responsibility Counselors, Member, 1999-2008
Published appellate decisions include Brannam v. Huntington Mortgage Co., 287 F3d 601 (6th Cir. 2002) (reh.den.; cert. den.) (a case of first impression under TILA and Reg Z); and Dressel v. Ameribank, 468 Mich 557 (2003) (principal amicus counsel) (establishing that document preparation fees charged in residential mortgage loans do not constitute the unauthorized practice of law).
- 08/15/201948 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2020 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/16/2018Bodman PLC “Highly Recommended” in Benchmark Litigation 2019
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Wayne State University, B.S.M.E.
- Attorneys' Liability Assurance Society (ALAS) Ltd.
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Professional Responsibility Counselors