Fred Hoops has more than 25 years of experience counseling high net worth individuals on the development and administration of estate plans and on related issues such as tax planning, charitable giving, family business succession planning, and the resolution of trust and estate disputes.
He leverages his diverse experience in private practice and as an officer in the wealth planning departments of two large financial institutions to develop estate plans that integrate sophisticated techniques to help his clients achieve their financial and estate planning goals.
He also represents charitable organizations and charitable trusts on various tax and compliance issues, donor advised fund issues, acceptance policies for charitable gifts, the creation of charitable gift annuity agreements, fiduciary issues for officers and directors, and in obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status with the IRS.
He is a member of the Financial and Estate Planning Council of Greater Detroit and a member of the State Bar of Michigan Taxation Section Council. He is a frequent presenter on taxation and estate planning issues and is the co-author of two highly regarded treatises, Planning for Estates and Administration in Michigan (Thomson Reuters, 1995-2019) and Family Estate Planning Guide (Thomson Reuters, 1998-2019).
Fred is listed in DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2020 under Nonprofit/Charities Law. He was listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2008 and 2009 under Trusts and Estates and is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. He is a former adjunct professor of advanced estate planning at the Thomas Cooley Law School and the University of Detroit Mercy Law School and taught Income Taxation of Trusts and Estates (Subchapter J) at Walsh College School of Accountancy.
He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Macomb Symphony Orchestra.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2020, Nonprofit/Charities Law
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2008-2009, Trusts and Estates
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Macomb Symphony Orchestra, Member, Board of Directors
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Greater Detroit
- State Bar of Michigan
- Member, Taxation Section Council
- Co-Author, Planning for Estates and Administration in Michigan (Thomson Reuters, 1995-2019)
- Co-Author, Family Estate Planning Guide (Thomson Reuters, 1995-2019)
- Former Adjunct Professor, Estate Planning, Thomas Cooley Law School
- Former Adjunct Professor, Estate Planning, University of Detroit Mercy Law School
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Taxation of Trusts and Estates, Walsh College School of Accountancy
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 06/20/2019Experienced Trusts and Estates Attorney Frederick Hoops, III Joins Bodman
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D.
- University of Miami School of Law, LL.M., Estate Planning
- University of Michigan, B.M., Music
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan Detroit
- State Bar of Florida
- State Bar of Michigan