Erica J. Shell focuses her litigation practice on the issues that arise during real property acquisition and development, including environmental enforcement and compliance, remediation, corrective action, environmental due diligence, and tax incentives and financing. Her clients include finance companies, banks, real estate investors, municipalities large and small, and various other corporate commercial litigants.
Ms. Shell specializes in navigating the space between litigation and economic development, with a focus on environmental challenges that clients face throughout the course of real estate transactions. This interdisciplinary approach affords clients both continuity and cost savings in the event of litigation. She counsels clients on issues including permitting, regulatory compliance, environmental risk and incentive programs, and the real property tax exemption process.
Ms. Shell has represented municipal clients in matters ranging from misdemeanor criminal cases to large-scale basement flooding class actions. She served for two years as the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan. During law school, she worked for the City of River Rouge, Michigan City Attorney’s Office.
In law school, Ms. Shell interned for the Honorable Nancy G. Edmunds of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, and served as managing editor of The Journal of Law in Society. She was a member of a team that won the 2015 David Sive Award for Best Brief Overall at the Jeffrey G. Miller Pace National Environmental Law Competition. She was a brief writer and oralist on Wayne State’s ABA National Moot Court team, and placed in the top ten oralists in the Midwest Region.
She is a member of the Detroit Bar Association (Barristers Board of Directors 2018-present; Education Committee Co-Chair 2018-19; Barristers Board Vice President 2019-20; Barristers Board President 2020-21), the Federal Bar Association, and the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce (Energy & Environment Committee). She is the recipient of the 2019 Barrister of the Year Award, which honors a Barristers board member who as exhibited a special commitment to service.
She is active with several Detroit-based charities, including service as a volunteer mentor with VIP Mentoring, as a member of the Angel Tree Committee for Matrix Human Services, and as a member of the Young Donor Committee for Loyola High School.
In her free time, Ms. Shell is an amateur marathon runner with a personal best of 2:56.
Honors, Awards and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2021, Environmental Law
- Detroit Bar Association Barristers "Barrister of the Year" (2019)
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- VIP Mentoring, Volunteer Mentor
- Matrix Human Services, Angel Tree Committee Member
- Loyola High School, Young Donor Committee Member
- Detroit Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association Barristers Board of Directors, 2018-present
- Board President, 2020-21
- Board Vice President, 2019-20
- Education Committee Co-Chair, 2018-19
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Energy & Environment Committee Member
- Author, "The Final Auer: How Weakening the Deference Doctrine May Impact Environmental Law," 45 ELR 10954, October 2015
- Author, "Petcoke: How an Outdated and Inconsistent Regulatory Framework Defeats Environmental Justice in Detroit," Michigan Environmental Law Journal (Vol. 33, No. 3, Spring-Summer 2015)
- 10/30/202076 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2021
- 07/27/2020Bodman Attorney Erica Shell Elected President of DBA Barristers Board of Directors
- 05/06/2020Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- 07/25/2019Bodman Attorney Erica Shell Named Barrister of the Year
- 01/30/2018ENVIRONMENTAL LAW UPDATE | First Reporting Deadline Under New EPA Chemical Reporting Rule is February 7, 2018
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- University of Detroit Mercy, M.A.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., magna cum laude