Mr. Shipman represents health care facilities and practitioners in corporate and regulatory matters, with emphasis on medical staff matters, captive and alternative risk programs, and regulation of hospital-physician financial relationships.
He has structured and negotiated hospital mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other business transactions, including asset purchases and stock purchases, representing both buyers and sellers. He has advised clients on joint ownership of ambulatory surgery centers and diagnostic services, addressing anti-kickback, Stark, licensure, and certification, and has assisted health care providers in developing captive insurance programs, both onshore and offshore.
Mr. Shipman has extensive experience drafting medical staff bylaws and policies, including disruptive and impaired practitioner policies, streamlining medical staff appeal procedures, ensuring compliance with JCAHO and AOA medical staff standards, and counseling medical executive committees regarding difficult credentialing cases and practical steps to reduce antitrust risk and maximize peer review confidentiality. He has counseled hospitals regarding the application of tax, Stark, and anti-kickback laws to physician recruitment contracts and drafted hospital-based physician contracts, including contracts that address clinical service objectives, exclusivity, and reimbursement issues.
Mr. Shipman is the former chair of Bodman's Health Care Practice Group. He has served on the boards of directors of the Michigan Society of Hospital Attorneys, the Montgomery Hospital, the Lourdes Home and the Detroit Artists Market.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 under Health Care, in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018 under Health Care, and in DBusiness Magazine 2019 "Top Lawyers" under Health Care. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2019, Health Care
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010-2019, Health Care
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2014-2018, Health Care
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Author, "Careless Peer Review Baits Trap for Antitrust Violations," 7 Health Care Weekly Review 16, 1991
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- 11/09/201765 Bodman Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers 2018” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/06/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | What Does The "Mega Rule" Mean For Nursing Facilities?
- IIT - Chicago-Kent, J.D.
- University of Chicago, M. Th.
- University of Illinois, B.A.
- American Academy of Hospital Attorneys
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan