Donald H. Scharg has more than 30 years of experience in the areas of labor law, construction labor law, employment discrimination and employee relations. He has represented employers in collective bargaining, contract arbitrations, 312 arbitrations, wrongful discharge, discrimination claims, representation and unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, and Section 10(k) proceedings.
The prestigious journal Benchmark Litigation 2020 has named Mr. Scharg a “Labor & Employment Star," indicating unusually strong endorsements from his clients and peers for his effectiveness. A Bodman client quoted in the publication described Mr. Scharg as being “professional, knowledgeable, experienced, responsive, and tactically skilled.”
Mr. Scharg has served as a member of the Governor’s Coalition on Workplace Drug Abuse and has conducted many seminars for management on wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, handicap discrimination, workplace misconduct, employee relations, remaining union-free, contract negotiations, family leave, and substance abuse testing. Mr. Scharg also contributes articles to professional and business publications regarding employment law issues.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Scharg was a partner at The Fishman Group, a nationally-recognized law firm that specialized in labor law, employment litigation, and employee relations matters, representing management in the private and public sectors.
He is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Michigan Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Scharg also served on the Board of Directors of the Frankel Jewish Academy (FJA) in West Bloomfield. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed as a "Top Lawyer" for Labor and Employment by DBusiness Magazine.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2020, Employment Law-Management
- Benchmark Litigation 2020, Labor & Employment Star
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2020, Labor and Employment
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Frankel Jewish Academy, Former Member, Board of Directors
- Michigan Chamber of Commerce, Former Member, Board of Directors
- 11/01/201970 Bodman Attorneys Included in DBusiness Top Lawyers 2020
- 10/24/2019Bodman "Highly Recommended" in Benchmark Litigation 2020
- 10/01/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | PWDCRA Assessment of Essential Functions and Reasonable Accommodations Given Physical Examination Requirement
- 08/15/201948 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2020 Best Lawyers in America List
- 05/02/2019Workplace Law Lowdown | DOL Provides New Insight on Employee vs. Independent Contractor Classification, Just As Michigan AG Launches Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A., with high distinction
- State Bar of Michigan