Ms. Akers focuses her practice on business and commercial litigation, including matters involving contract disputes, intellectual property rights, failed mergers/acquisitions, financing and loan agreements, business torts, lender liability claims as well as defense of employment discharge, discrimination and harassment claims.
Ms. Akers has substantial experience managing class actions and large, complex litigation matters. She has handled a number of precedent setting cases including the case establishing an employer’s right to compel employees to arbitrate all employment-related disputes and the case establishing that civil courts may not review parochial schools’ decisions on admission and expulsion of students.
Ms. Akers frequently speaks and writes on topics related to commercial litigation and business courts. She is the co-author of “Business Courts” from the ABA’s 2011 Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation. Her most recent article, “Michigan’s New Business Court Act Presents Opportunities and Challenges,” appears in the Summer 2013 issue of the Michigan Business Law Journal.
She has held numerous leadership positions within the State Bar of Michigan, including service as chair of the 3,500 member Business Law Section, chair of the Ad Hoc Committee on Climate Change and Sustainability, co-chair of the Task Force on Attorney-Client Privilege, chair of the Business Court Ad Hoc Committee, chair of the Commercial Litigation Committee of the Business Law Section, and a member of the Judicial Crossroads Task Force and co-chair of its Business Impact Committee. She is a former member of the executive committee of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section of the Detroit Bar Association.
Ms. Akers is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2011 under Business Litigation. She is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2011, Business Litigation
- Dbusiness "Top Lawyer" 2010, Business Litigation and Class Actions
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Author, Michigan's New Business Court Act Presents Opportunities and Challenges, Michigan Business Law Journal, Summer 2013
- Co-Author, Business Courts, ABA Annual Review of Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2011
- 11/22/2016BREAKING NEWS: Texas Court Grants Nationwide Injunction Blocking FLSA Overtime Changes
- 09/08/2014HHS Begins Phase 2 of HIPAA Compliance Audits; Is Your Institution Prepared?
- 08/08/2014Diane Akers Is the Recipient of the 9th Annual Stephen H. Schulman Outstanding Business Lawyer Award
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Oakland University, M.A.
- Western Michigan University, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan