Mr. Levasseur practices intellectual property litigation, franchise/dealer litigation, complex commercial litigation, securities litigation and arbitration, primarily for securities broker-dealers, in proceedings throughout the United States.
He has successfully defended securities broker-dealers and their registered representatives in unsuitability, fraud, churning, and “selling-away” cases. He also practices in the area of trade secret protection and arbitration proceedings in state and federal courts.
Mr. Levasseur has lectured on broker-dealer and securities litigation to trade groups. Before joining the Firm, Mr. Levasseur clerked for the Honorable Stewart A. Newblatt of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mr. Levasseur is a founder of the Historical Society of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and serves as the Legal/Government Committee Chair and on the Executive Board as the Vice President for Legal Affairs of the Detroit Historical Society. He is a City Attorney for the City of Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan.
Mr. Levasseur is listed as a 2016 "Lawyer of the Year" under Detroit Litigation-Banking & Finance in The Best Lawyers in America. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 under Litigation-Banking & Finance and Litigation-Intellectual Property, listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2016 under Litigation, listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2006-2016 under Securities Litigation, listed in Benchmark: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys 2008-2016, and is listed as a 2017 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2012-2017, Litigation-Banking & Finance and Litigation-Intellectual Property
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010, 2013-2017
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006-2016, Securities Litigation
- Chambers USA 2016, Litigation
- Benchmark: The Definitive Guide to America's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys 2008-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America 2016 Detroit "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation- Banking & Finance
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- American Bar Association
- Forum on Franchising
- Detroit Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Foundation (Fellow)
- Federal Bar Association, E.D. Mich. Chapter
- Summer Associate Courthouse Program Committee, Co-Chair
- Newsletter Committee
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Historical Society of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Founder
- Detroit Historical Society, Legal/Government Committee Chair and Vice President for Legal Affairs
- FINRA® Arbitrator
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
- Compliance & Legal Society
- Wayne County Mediation Tribunal, Commercial Mediator
Mr. Levasseur's recent matters include:
- Columbia Pictures Inc. v Ben Fysh, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 11234 (2007)
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America and United Broadcasting Network, Inc. v Helen Dorsey et al., 273 Mich App 26 (2006)
- Raymond James & Associates, Inc. v Leonard & Company, 411 F. Supp. 2d 689(2006)
- Entertainment Software Association v Granholm, 404 F. Supp. 2d 978 (2005)
- La-Van Hawkins Urban City Foods v Burger King Corp., 2003 U.S. App. LEXIS 20243 (2003)
- Nehls v Hillsdale College, 178 F Supp 2d 771 (2001)
- Hilgraeve Corp. v Symantec Corp., 265 F 3d 1336 (2001)
- McDonald’s Corp. v Burger King Corp., 107 F Supp. 2d 787 (2000)
- Relume Corp. v Dialight Corp., 63 F Supp 2d 788 (1999)
- Greer v Norfolk & W. Railway, 1998 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 15875 (1998)
- Chubb Sec. Corp. v Manning, 224 Mich App 702; 569 NW2d 886 (1997)
- ATD Corp. v Lydall Inc., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 2527 (1997)
- Tannian v City of Grosse Pointe Park, 1995 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12084 (1995)
- Norfolk & W. Railway v United States, 842 F. Supp. 728 (1994)
- Rodgers v Flint Journal, 779 F Supp. 70 (1991)
- Michigan Consolidated Gas Co. v Panhandle Eastern Pipe Line Co., 887 F Supp 2d 1295 (1989)
- 03/22/2017HEALTH CARE LAW BULLETIN | NEW MICHIGAN TELEHEALTH LAW TAKES EFFECT MARCH 29: Law Provides Guidance Where Current Law Falls Silent
- 03/20/2017EMPLOYEE BENEFITS SUMMARY REPORT | MARCH 20, 2017: Here's What You Need to Know in the World of Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- 11/22/2016WORKPLACE LAW ALERT BREAKING NEWS: Texas Court Grants Nationwide Injunction Blocking FLSA Overtime Changes
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 10/12/2016CMS Updates Requirements for Long-Term Care Facilities
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D.
- Wayne State University, B.A.
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- International Franchise Association
- Oakland County Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Michigan
- Wayne County Mediation Tribunal