Mr. Barton represents financial institutions in corporate law and governance, loan documentation and workouts, mergers and acquisitions, regulatory matters, and securities law.
He organizes de novo financial institutions, bank holding companies and subsidiaries. Mr. Barton also acts as corporate counsel to small and medium sized businesses in a wide variety of business law and real estate matters.
Mr. Barton is a member of the State Bar of Michigan (Business Law and Real Estate Law Sections) and has served as President and Treasurer of the Cheboygan County Bar Association. He is co-chair of the Business Law Section's Financial Institutions Committee. He has been a principal speaker at seminars on topics including business and corporate law, commercial loan documentation, the Uniform Commercial Code, creditors’ rights, and securities law. He also authored an article in the Michigan Bar Journal regarding commercial lending in Michigan by business and industrial development corporations.
Mr. Barton is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015 under Banking and is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Traverse magazine named him to its "A-List" of leading Northern Michigan lawyers.
While in law school, Mr. Barton was a member and an editor of the University of Toledo Law Review.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2012-2015
- Traverse: Northern Michigan's Magazine, "Northern Michigan's A-List"
- State Bar
- Co-Chair, Financial Institutions Committee, Business Law Section
- Real Estate Law Section
- 02/26/2016David W. Barton Named Co-Chair of State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section’s Financial Institutions Committee
- 09/28/201551 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- University of Toledo College of Law, J.D.
- Bowling Green State University, B.S.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Cheboygan County Bar Association