Mr. Hempstead concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of income, estate and gift tax planning for high net worth individuals, estate and trust administration, trust litigation, and charitable trusts and foundations.
He is a member of the Probate and Estate Planning and Taxation sections of the State Bar of Michigan. He is also a member of the Financial and Estate Planning Council of Detroit. Mr. Hempstead was admitted to practice before the United States Tax Court in 1979.
Mr. Hempstead is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 (for over 20 years) under Trusts and Estates and listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016 under Estate Planning & Probate. He is listed as a 2016 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness magazine. He is AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Crain’s Detroit Business named him one of southeast Michigan’s “Most Powerful People” of 2010.
Mr. Hempstead serves as a board member for the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House, Detroit Institute of Arts, Henry Ford Health System, College for Creative Studies, Community Foundation for Southeastern Michigan, Matilda Dodge Wilson Fund, Clarence Livingood Fund, and the Wayne Law School Board of Visitors.
Mr. Hempstead served for many years as Vice Chairman of the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 1993-2017, Trusts and Estates
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2009-2016
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Detroit
- Edsel & Eleanor Ford House, Board of Directors
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Board of Directors
- Henry Ford Health System, Board of Directors
- College of Creative Studies, Board of Directors
- Community Foundation for Southeastern Michigan, Board of Directors
- Matilda Dodge Wilson Fund, Board of Directors
- Clarence Livingood Fund, Board of Directors
- Wayne Law School, Board of Visitors
- State Bar of Michigan
- Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Taxation Section
- 11/17/201627 Bodman Attorneys named “Top Lawyers 2017” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 08/16/201642 Bodman Attorneys Named to 2017 Best Lawyers in America List
- 09/28/201551 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2015
- 09/17/2015 Forty-eight Bodman Attorneys Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Western Michigan University, B.A.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan Detroit