Ms. Sahu concentrates her practice in representing financial institutions in general commercial loan transactions and real estate transactions, including single lender, syndicated and second lien loan transactions and small business administration guaranteed loans.
Ms. Sahu has extensive experience structuring, negotiating, and documenting secured and unsecured commercial loans to borrowers in a variety of industries.
She has particular expertise in lending transactions involving venture capital-backed emerging and established companies in the technology, energy, and life science industries. She has more than a decade of experience in transactions with companies in all stages of growth from seed/early stage to established pre-public stage companies.
Ms. Sahu has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2013 in the field of Banking and Finance, was listed in Michigan Rising Stars 2008-2012 under Banking, and is listed as a 2019 "Top Lawyer” for Banking and Financial Services by DBusiness Magazine. In 2018, Michigan Lawyers Weekly named Ms. Sahu to its annual class of "Women in Law," which honors women lawyers who have made a positive impact on the profession and their communities. In 2008, Ms. Sahu received Michigan Lawyers Weekly's "Up & Coming Lawyers" award which recognizes practitioners whose accomplishments set them apart from their peers in the first ten years in practice.
She is a member of Bodman’s Executive Committee, which manages the firm’s day to day business affairs. She is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and the State Bar of California. She is currently serving as the Vice President and Treasurer of the board of directors of University YES Academy in Detroit and volunteers with VIP Mentoring. She also serves on the board of directors of Gleaners Community Food Bank. Ms. Sahu is a past board member of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Risk Management Association and a past board member of African-American Attorneys in Downtown Firms (AAADF).
Before joining Bodman, Ms. Sahu worked as a corporate financial analyst for NationsBank (now Bank of America) in Charlotte, North Carolina. In law school, Ms. Sahu was the co-article selection coordinator for the Michigan Journal of Gender and Law.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2019, Banking and Finance
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2014, 2015, 2019, Banking & Financial Services
- Michigan Rising Stars 2008-2012, Banking
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly "Women in Law" 2018
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly "Up & Coming Lawyers" 2008
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Gleaners Community Food Bank of Southeastern Michigan, Member, Board of Directors
- VIP Mentoring, Volunteer Mentor
- YES Academy (Detroit), Vice President and Treasurer, Board of Directors
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 08/15/201816 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed in Banking and Finance Categories in The Best Lawyers in America 2019®
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- 08/08/2018Michigan Lawyers Weekly Names Bodman’s Damali Sahu a “Women in the Law” Class of 2018
- 01/19/2018Bodman Volunteers Spend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Serving the Community
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Florida A&M University, magna cum laude, B.S.
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Michigan