Celeste E. Arduino represents community and family foundations, public charities, religious organizations, and other tax-exempt and charitable organizations in securing and retaining exempt status, advising on corporate governance issues, and counseling on general operational matters.
She is experienced in counseling a wide variety of clients, including individuals, hospitals, religious organizations, 501(c)(3) charitable organizations, 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations, 501(c)(6) business leagues, captive insurance companies, health maintenance organizations (HMOs), financial institutions, and family offices.
Ms. Arduino guides non-profit and philanthropic clients on matters that are unique to their sector, including unrelated business taxable income, advocacy and lobbying activities, charitable solicitations, grantmaking, and social investing. Specifically, she has experience with the following:
- Advising large, private foundations and public charities on complex compliance issues such as self-dealing, excess business holdings, taxable expenditures, jeopardy investment, excess benefit transactions, and Form 990/990-PF reporting matters;
- Advising on and aiding with corporate governance matters for both tax-exempt and for-profit entities: formations, dissolutions, applications for tax-exemption, etc.;
- Negotiating the terms of tax-credit investments for financial institutions; and
- Assisting foundations with grantmaking, including expenditure responsibility, international equivalency determinations, and program-related investments.
In addition to her work with charitable and tax-exempt organizations, Ms. Arduino advises high net-worth clients on estate, gift, and income tax matters. She also helps them with estate plans and business planning, especially with closely-held companies that involve multiple family members. Some of the services that she provides for such clients include:
- Preparing estate plans for high-net worth individuals, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, deeds, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs), and Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRTs); and
- Counseling and assistance with the acquisition and disposition of businesses, aircraft, yachts, and oil & gas interests.
Ms. Arduino is a participant in the Great Lakes Area Tax Exempt/ Governmental Entities (TE/GE) Council, whose membership consists of a select group of practitioners who represent taxpayers in the seven states covered by the Great Lakes Area of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)’s TE/GE Division. The purpose of the Council is to maintain an open line of communication between that TE/GE Division – which oversees employee benefit plans, exempt organizations, and government entities – and the practitioner community. It provides input to the IRS on procedural and systemic matters that can range from policies and procedures to specific tax issues.
She is co-chair of the Nonprofit Corporations Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, which holds the responsibility of reviewing and updating the state’s laws relating to the organization of non-profit organizations in addition to reviewing legislation that regulate the solicitation of charitable contributions.
Ms. Arduino has been listed as a Metro Detroit “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness Magazine in the area of Non-Profit/Charities Law in 2012 and 2014, and she has been selected to the 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” list and is recorded as a Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Detroit.
She is a graduate of Leadership Detroit, Class XXXVII (2015-2016), an executive leadership program led by the Detroit Regional Chamber that aims to create awareness of major issues affecting the region and challenges these leaders to bring about positive change in the community through informed leadership.
Ms. Arduino serves on the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and is a Co-chair of its Recruiting Committee.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- "Rising Star," Michigan Super Lawyers, 2016
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2012, 2014
Civic, Cultural and Community Activities
- Great Lakes Area Tax Exempt/Governmental Entities (TE/GE) Council, Participant
- Leadership Detroit Class XXXVII, Graduate (2015-2016)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Business Law Section, Nonprofit Corporations Committee, Co-Chair
- 03/20/2017EMPLOYEE BENEFITS SUMMARY REPORT | MARCH 20, 2017: Here's What You Need to Know in the World of Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- 09/01/201648 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2016
- 02/04/2015Bodman PLC Admits Five New Members
- 12/27/201363 Bodman Attorneys Named 'Top Lawyers 2014' by D Business Magazine
- 01/11/2013Congress Averts 'Fiscal Cliff' by Passing American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude; Order of the Coif
- Bowling Green State University, B.A., magna cum laude
- Great Lakes Area TE/GE Council
- State Bar of Michigan
- Leadership Detroit