Brian R. Trumbauer focuses his practice in the area of debtor-creditor rights and bankruptcy, with a particular emphasis on representing banks and other financial institutions in loan workouts, commercial bankruptcy cases and troubled credit situations.
He has represented secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, trustees, creditors’ committees and other interested parties in bankruptcy cases and debtor-creditor disputes. He also represents Tier 1 automotive companies and other manufacturing companies in bankruptcy and troubled supplier situations.
Mr. Trumbauer has served as a member of a standing Advisory Committee to the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and on a subcommittee that has worked with the bench on various revisions to the Local Rules for that Court. He also lectures frequently on bankruptcy law and debtor-creditor issues.
He is listed in Chambers USA 2019 as a Recognized Practitioner under Banking & Finance: Bankruptcy. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 under Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Litigation-Bankruptcy. He is listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018 under Creditor/Debtor Rights and as a DBusiness magazine 2019 "Top Lawyer" for Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights. He is AV Preeminent® Peer Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- Chambers USA 2019, Recognized Practitioner, Banking & Finance: Bankruptcy - Michigan
- The Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2019, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Litigation-Bankruptcy
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2010-2015, 2017, 2019, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2018, Creditor Debtor Rights
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence; Endorsed for High Ethical Standing
- Detroit Bar Association
- Debtor-Creditor Section, Co-Chair (2008-2009)
- Federal Bar Association, E.D.Mich. Chapter
- Bankruptcy Committee
- Advisory Committee to the Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Member
- Author, "Local Bankruptcy Rules: Michigan (E.D. Mich.)," Thomson Reuters-Practical Law Local Rules Toolkit (October 2018).
- 04/25/2019Chambers USA 2019 Recognizes Bodman as One of Michigan's Top Business Law Firms
- 11/01/201842 Bodman Attorneys named to “Top Lawyers 2019” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/10/201853 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2018
- 08/15/201816 Bodman PLC Attorneys Listed in Banking and Finance Categories in The Best Lawyers in America 2019®
- 08/15/201845 Bodman PLC Attorneys Named to 2019 Best Lawyers in America List
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- Marquette University, magna cum laude, B.A.
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- State Bar of Michigan