Mr. Summerfield handles commercial, construction, and tort litigation matters.
During the foreclosure crisis, he supervised a team responding to a significant increase in suits against mortgage lenders, servicers, and brokers, which included investigation into fraudulent lending activities. He also manages volume asbestosis litigation.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Summerfield served as a senior trial attorney with the United States Navy Judge Advocate General’s Corps, where he represented service members in courts-martial, clinical privilege hearings, and administrative discharge boards. He received several awards and decorations while in the Navy, including the National Defense Service Medal, two Navy Commendation Medals and the Navy Achievement Medal.
Mr. Summerfield is President-Elect of the Detroit Bar Association and a Trustee of the Detroit Bar Association Foundation. He is President of the Grosse Pointe Public School System Board of Education. He is listed as a 2018 "Top Lawyer" by DBusiness Magazine under Litigation-Real Estate.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018, Litigation-Real Estate
Civic, Cultural, and Community Activities
- Grosse Pointe Public School System Board of Education, President
- Detroit Bar Association, President-Elect
- Detroit Bar Association Foundation, Trustee
- Oakland County Bar Association
- 08/15/2017Bodman Volunteers Help Life Remodeled Beautify Detroit
- 05/08/2013Brian C. Summerfield Appointed to Grosse Pointe School Board
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- New York
- Detroit Bar Association (DBA)
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association (OCBA)