Mr. Schuster is a member of Bodman’s Enterprise Procurement Group and chair of the Data Privacy and Security Group. He represents clients in a variety of business and technology matters and other commercial transactions.
He primarily assists clients in the review, drafting, and negotiation of complex vendor agreements and other commercial contracts, including:
- professional services/consulting services agreements
- business process and information technology outsourcing arrangements
- commercial and governmental debit/credit card program agreements
- data licensing agreements
- hardware sales/purchase/lease agreements
- marketing agreements
- sponsorship agreements
- armored and non-armored courier services agreements
- human resources services/benefits agreements
- other outsourcing, manufacturing, procurement and supply arrangements
Mr. Schuster also represents clients in a variety of intellectual property matters, including technology development and license agreements and Internet web site development and hosting arrangements.
Mr. Schuster provides assistance to clients in a range of industries, including financial institutions, professional sports teams, automotive suppliers, and a variety of technology companies, including startups. He works with clients to ensure their contractual agreements accurately reflect the intended transactions, and also to ensure that the client’s interests are as protected as possible. Mr. Schuster’s wide range of experience has helped him efficiently negotiate hundreds of transactions involving millions of dollars in spend.
Mr. Schuster is recognized in Michigan Rising Stars 2017 in Technology Transactions and is listed as a 2018 "Top Lawyer" in Information Technology Law by DBusiness Magazine. In law school, Mr. Schuster served as an assistant editor, senior articles editor and member of the executive board of the Wayne Law Review. He received several academic honors and awards at Wayne State, including the Faculty Award and the Joan Mahoney Scholarship, and he was named a Dean's Scholar and a Lombard Fellow.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018, Information Technology Law
- Michigan Rising Stars 2013-2017, Technology Transactions
Mr. Schuster's recent matters include:
- Telecom Services – Mr. Schuster negotiated a multi-million dollar agreement between a large client and a telecom services provider for the provision of enterprise-wide Internet and telephone related services. The negotiation was conducted on a tight timeline and included a large number of separate documents. Mr. Schuster worked with the client to ensure that all of the documents accurately reflected the agreed-upon business and financial terms, and also to minimize any legal risk associated with the transaction.
- Marketing Services – Mr. Schuster worked with a marketing services provider to negotiate a multi-million dollar contract with one of its customers for the provision of direct mail, email, text, telephone, and other direct marketing services. He also negotiated related agreements with the client’s subcontractors to ensure the client would be able to meet its obligations to its customer. This project involved a wide variety of complex issues, including issues related compliance with data privacy and security laws, as well as consumer marketing laws and regulations.
- Software Option – Mr. Schuster negotiated a multi-million dollar software purchase agreement between a client and a large technology vendor. This project required the time-sensitive review of a number of pre-existing agreements and proposed third party software terms and conditions. Mr. Schuster worked closely with the client to obtain a number of changes to the terms of the software purchase agreement, and also negotiated for more favorable indemnification, termination, and assignment provisions.
- Automotive Terms and Conditions – Mr. Schuster conducted a survey of the existing purchase order terms and conditions for a large number of automotive suppliers and drafted customized state-of-the-art purchase order terms and conditions for an international Tier-One automotive supplier which provided maximum protections to the client.
- 11/09/201765 Bodman Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers 2018” by DBusiness Magazine
- 09/06/201750 Bodman Attorneys Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers 2017
- 07/26/2017Bodman PLC and Susan M. Kornfield Recognized for Trademark Law Excellence by Managing Intellectual Property
- 07/19/2017ENTERPRISE PROCUREMENT ALERT | The Enterprise Procurement Group Update | 18 July 2017
- 05/17/2017THE ENTERPRISE PROCUREMENT GROUP UPDATE | UNCERTAINTY SURROUNDING DODD-FRANK AND OTHER REGULATIONS
- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude; Order of the Coif
- Madonna University, B.A., summa cum laude
- State Bar of Michigan