Mr. Graves is the Chair of the Workplace Law Practice Group. He focuses his practice in labor and employment law. He represents and counsels private and public employers in industries ranging from raw materials to software development.
Mr. Graves's expertise includes handling complex traditional labor issues, including union organizing, labor contract negotiations, grievance administration, restructuring/relocation of unionized businesses and handling unfair labor practice charges, under both the NLRA and RLA. On a daily basis, Mr. Graves handles a broad spectrum of employment matters such as pre-hire screening, discrimination, harassment, wage-hour, policy administration, substance abuse, FMLA, discipline, whistleblower, retaliation, discharge, and plant closings/reductions in force. Mr. Graves is also experienced in the professional staff privileging and peer review issues unique to the health care industry.
Licensed to practice in both Illinois and Michigan, Mr. Graves represents employers in courts and before various state and federal agencies, including the EEOC, IDHR, MDCR, MERC, and NLRB. Mr. Graves frequently presents seminars and provides training on labor and employment issues for industry groups, human resources associations, and individual employers. He is listed as a 2018 “Top Lawyer” by DBusiness Magazine.
Before joining Bodman, Mr. Graves practiced at a local law firm specializing in labor and employment matters. In law school, he served as articles editor of the Northwestern Journal of International Law & Business. He was also a recipient of the James B. Angell Scholar Award at the University of Michigan.
Honors, Awards, and Recognition
- DBusiness Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2018, Labor and Employment
- Presenter, "Employment Law for Managers" and "Properly Documenting Employee Discipline," Michigan Chamber of Commerce seminar, Lansing, Michigan, November 8, 2018.
- Presenter, "Managing Discipline and Employee Complaints: #Me Too and Other Workplace Issues," MISHRM Employment Law Summit, Traverse City, Michigan, October 17, 2018.
- 01/18/2018WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | DOL Issues New Guidance On Test For Unpaid Internships
- 11/21/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Sex Harassment News Should Spark Employer Action
- 11/09/201765 Bodman Attorneys Named “Top Lawyers 2018” by DBusiness Magazine
- 10/26/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | California Will Bar Employers From Requesting Applicant Salary History
- 10/19/2017WORKPLACE LAW LOWDOWN | Employers Should Exercise Caution When Producing Employee Information
- Northwestern University Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- Illinois State Bar Association (ISBA)
- State Bar of Michigan